Sometimes, it can be extremely helpful to take EAD XML files out of Archivists’ Toolkit to edit them. Maybe you have a contents list that you generated from a spreadsheet, or maybe you want to quickly change 500 “otherlevel”s to “file”s. Since there are so many small steps, I created a checklist. Using the checklist will help to make sure that information doesn’t get lost and that the record looks like you want it to.
First, a word of caution: when the record is imported back into AT, it will overwrite all refids with new ones. So if you’re using those refids elsewhere, this won’t work. Additionally, before exporting the record, it’s important to copy down information that won’t be included in the export. This includes any repository processing notes and linked accession records. This is also why it’s important to make sure that “internal only” notes are included in the export. Also, the file won’t re-import with barcode information, because barcodes are kept as non-valid attributes and violate the importer’s validation rules.
We found that when exporting, AT added information that we didn’t want when we re-imported it, or imported information to different fields. For example, at Tamiment, we use the container summary to on the “Basic Info” tab to record the container summary. When this is exported, it maps to <extent> in <physdec>. When it’s re-imported into the Toolkit, it does not go into the container summary but becomes a Physical Description Note. You can also change some of these in the EAD XML file, instead of after importing into AT.
You can find my checklist here or below
Before Exporting EAD:
- Write down which accession records are linked to the resource record
- Record any information in repository processing note(s)
- Do NOT check “Suppress components and notes when marked ‘internal only’” when exporting the original resource record
Before importing EAD:
- If there are barcodes: do a find/replace on containers (using dot matches all) to delete barcodes
- Make sure that the record it is replacing has been deleted
After importing EAD:
- Separate the prefix and numeric sections of the Resource Identifier into separate fields
- Remove bulk dates from Date Expression field (this may also need to be done at the series or sub-series level)
- Copy the text from the General Physical Description note into the Container Summary
- Remove General Physical Description note
Finding Aid Data:
- Remove call number from Finding Aid Title field
- Remove “Collection processed by” in Author field
- Re-enter barcodes
- Re-link resource record to accession record(s)